Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Arab Night

So since we had a Passover Dinner, it was only fair that we have an Arab Dinner.  The food was amazing!!!  I think the kanafe and the lamb were my favorite... you will see it all soon.  We also heard people from the al-Aqsa Mosque recite the Call to Prayer for us (they recite the Call to Prayer 5 times a day over speakers all over the city... starting at 4am and then the last time at about 9pm... luckily I never wake up for the 4am one).  We also got to hear them read the Quran, they read the story of Mary giving birth to Christ, it sounded really cool!  After dinner we had dance instruction in Palestinian folk dance from my Arab teacher's kids.  I was really bad well we all were and lost interest pretty fast and just collapsed into a regular dance.  Overall it was a really good time!
Left to Right: Mikele, Jaelyn, Linda, Mary, Abby, Me, Kayla, Hollie

Left to Right: Sophie, Erin, Katie

My Table for Arab Night
Left to Right: Eric, Laurann, Annie

Arab Dinner... I was so stuffed after... I felt like it was an Arab style Thanksgiving 
There was spiced chicken in a tortilla kinda deal, lamb, rice, salat (tomatoes and cucumbers), quinoa, hummus, pita, a type of fried dough with potatoes (a lot like a crunchy pierogie), and beef covered in batter and fried... there was so much more but that was all I could fit on my plate... and my stomach!

Dessert: Kanafe (orange thing), Baclava, and something with a candied cherry
The Kanafe was my favorite its a kind of stringy dough rolled around cheese and saturated in honey
I may have filled up my dinner side of my stomach but my dessert side of my stomach was definitely happy with multiple rounds of Kanafe!










 Arab Dinner Spread

HUMMUS!

Hollie and I

                                      
Mikele and I



 Left: Annie and I


Right: Will and I


Left: Laurann and I

Right: Kathryn and I













Jackson doesn't like taking pictures... but I got him to smile eventually

Hayley and I
McKay and I

Best Friends!
Left to Right: Me, Steven, Annie

This wasn't from Arab night but its a little piece of home that made my day and was worth sharing!
Love my Heinz Ketchup!

No comments:

Post a Comment