Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Odds and Ends...


So I am quite behind I know… but I will just post a bunch of pictures I have right now because there isn’t much story to tell right now…

We all decided to be responsible Americans and watch the first Presidential Debate... Go Romney!

So I went on an adventure after church and we found ourselves up in a tower and this was the view of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre from the top of the tower... let me tell you it was quite a hike

The view from the tower wasn't good enough so Skylar decided to try and climb EVEN HIGHER... Holly promptly got angry and made him get down... he's so wipped :p
but let's be honest I love Holly and Skylar... too cute

View of the Dome of the Rock from the Tower... still haven't been to the Dome of the Rock and I am already halfway through the semester... I should probably get on that

My little Abby and I right before conference when they announced the missionary age change.
Girls can now serve at 19 and boys at 18... although after a lot of prayer I have decided I will not be serving a mission but there are plenty of girls here that are already starting their papers.


So the Jews were celebrating Sukkot or Feast of the Tabernacles so part of their celebration is that at sunrise on the last day they go to synagogue or the Western Wall and slap willow branches on the ground and in my Israel teacher's words, "throw a big temper tantrum asking God for rain."
It was pretty cool!
The WHOLE PLACE was packed!!

If you look close each person is holding a long green leaf which is part of the whole ritual.

Left to Right: Me, Annie, Neil, Sean, McKay



So our whole class went into Hezekiah's Tunnel on a field trip... I totally rocked the look
Hezekiah's Tunnel: or the Siloam Tunnel is a tunnel that was dug underneath the City of David in Jerusalem before 701 BC during the reign of Hezekiah of Judah. The tunnel is mentioned in 2 Kings 20:20 in the Bible.

A little bit more presentable


 ISRAEL MUSEUM 
So for my Ancient Near Eastern Studies class we had to go to the Israel Museum and see a bunch of old stuff... so this is some cool stuff that I saw!

This was a HUGE model of Jerusalem in the 2nd Temple Period the big building that is front and center is Herod's Temple and then the rest of the city is behind it.

Me by the temple model

Super cool Anthropoid coffins

So I am going to warn you all right now... ever since I took Anatomy last winter I have become obsessed with old skeletons so a lot of my museum pictures are skeletons...

Common burial... We enter the world in the fetal position... might as well leave it the same way

Super excited me with the skeleton...

This was just one alcove but the whole wall was decorated like this and it was probably 15 feet high and 30 feet long!

Egyptian Sarcophagus!

No comments:

Post a Comment