Wednesday, August 29, 2012

And We're Off!!

So my life in general in Jerusalem… is going to be awesome!!  But lets start at the beginning.  So my grandpa drove me to the airport at 5am in Provo, Utah on August 28, and I met up with my entire group of 82 students to head for Jerusalem! 


Well I started the trip off pretty badly I was an idiot and left my water bottle out by the chairs at the gate so after getting settled on the plane I pushed past an entire line of people in between the seats to get off the plane and grab my water bottle.  Of course I don’t find it so I just decide to accept it and get back on the plane… only the door to the plane is LOCKED!  So I ran around trying to find someone to open the door for me, after like 5 minutes I get a lady from another desk to run over and unlock the door… thank goodness they were still boarding people!  Luckily the boy sitting next to me at the gate, his name is Michael (one of the few people I actually know on this trip), well he had grabbed my bottle!  So all was well and I got on the plane in Salt Lake City and we flew 4 hours to JFK airport in NYC!


So in NYC we had a 5 hour layover… sounds painful but it really wasn’t.  I called my family and Blake and went to dinner with some of the kids on the trip with me I went with Holly, Michael, Mikele, and Erin (and that’s about all the people I know on my trip so far) we all get along well.  Well then we had to go through security to get on our DOUBLE DECKER PLANE!! 



My mind was blown!  While I waited I said goodbye to Blake one last time (third time’s the charm) its probably the last time I’ll hear his voice for quite some time… sniff sniff. 

Well I got on the plane and Michael sat right behind me so that was awesome we chatted it up.  We had dinner on the plane, absolutely nasty stuff, but I watched J. Edgar Hoover and went to bed and I actually slept 6 hours!!  Well I woke up to find that my ankles are now the size of like softballs… don’t know how that happens but apparently its common? 



Well I walked around and ate breakfast (also DISGUSTING) and watched Contagion, which was the dumbest idea, it makes you not want to touch anyone or eat any food you don’t make yourself. 

Well I finally touched down in Tel Aviv at the Ben Gurion Airport at 2 o’clock in the afternoon after a 10 hour flight!  Customs wasn’t bad at all actually it took like all of 5 minutes to get through AND get my bags so I was happy!  So then we all drove in two buses to the center and I was the first student to spot the center way off in the distance… 10 points for Abi!!  I also got to catch my first glimpses of the Dome of the Rock which is absolutely breathtaking even from miles away, I can also see it from my apartment, but no big! 



Well I am now here at the center after unpacking, showering, eating dinner, and having some class orientations and it is 9:30pm!  And in the past 72 hours I have had 6 hours of sleep so I am kind of pooped. 

I have to apologize for future posts because they probably won’t be this detailed seeing as I actually have to start doing homework soon, even though this feels like vacation I am sure my professors have no intention of letting me have a vacation!

I love you all!  Good night!!!

PS- Just a cool factoid that will probably constantly confuse me this whole semester…

Crazy Time Differences

In Provo, Utah it is 12:39pm

In Pittsburgh, PA it is 2:39pm

And in Jerusalem, Israel it is 9:39pm

WOAH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment